Traveling doesn’t mean you have to let your eco-friendly habits go right out the window. You can still do your part for the environment even when you’re away from home. It’s all going to start with what you pack.
First of all, it’s very important to make sure that you make a list of everything that you need on your trip. This way there are no rushed trips at the airport to buy a travel toothpaste which is not going to be good for the environment. So write a list and check off what you packed as you go. Here’s some eco-friendly things that should be on your list.
Eco-Friendly Products to Take on Vacation
1. Shampoo and conditioner and body soap - The key is, don’t buy the travel bottles at the store. Those are one-time use bottles. Get yourself some good silicone bottles to put all of your hair care products and body soap in. They can be used again and again. Something that will be allowed on an airplane will be helpful.
2. A zinc oxide sunscreen - The standard sunscreens are harmful to the environment. Using a sunscreen with minimal ingredients and the only active ingredient being zinc oxide is not only healthier for you, but it’s better for the environment as well because the chemicals are not running off your body and into the surf and sand at the beach.
3. Reusable shopping bag - You know you’re going to be buying souvenirs and possibly even going to the grocery store while on your trip. Well, pack your reusable shopping bags to bring with you to the stores when you do your shopping, and say no thank you to the plastic bags that the stores offer you.
4. Reusable water bottle and/or travel mug - You need to stay hydrated and caffeinated. Bring your own water bottle and travel mug for drinking water and coffee in while you’re vacationing. Pack it in your carry on if you’re taking a flight somewhere, so you can use it on the plane and don’t have to use their non-biodegradable plastic cups.
5. Solar charges - Bringing your electronics? Of course you are. They need to be charged. Consider using solar chargers for your electronic devices. This way you also don’t have to worry about finding a plug all the time to charge your device.
6. Reusable snack bags - You need to have a snack on the trip, right? Going to the beach? You might want to pack a lunch so it will be good to have reusable containers to put the food in. Don’t forget a collapsible cooler. Take that doggy bag at the restaurant even if you’re not going right back to your hotel room. You can put it in your cooler bag to keep and therefore not have to worry about wasting any food simply because you don’t have time to make a pit stop at your hotel room before going to your next destination.
This is just a small sampling of what you should be packing on your eco-friendly vacation. What are some things you like to make sure you have, to help you be conscious of the environment?